Friday, March 28, 2008

Trying to fall in love

“Ahem”, asked the foreigner sitting next to me, “why is he constantly on phone?” The lady was from America on a client visit to our company. She was referring to my colleague who called up his fiancé at the slightest provocation.

“Uh, umm, he is trying to fall in love”, I answered. I knew that she won’t understand the answer and the frown followed by wiggling of her nose proved that I was right. Before giving her any opportunity to ask another question I continued, “Actually, he has just got engaged to a girl. He is trying to fall in love with her before they get married”. I felt I had given a satisfactory answer and started to resume me work, but the lady was still confused.

“Why did he get engaged to a girl whom he did not love?” asked our client.

“His parents arranged the marriage for him, so he did not get any chance to meet her before their engagement. He is doing all he can to fall in love with her and going by the number of conversations he is having, I think he is doing a good job! He will be in love with her well before their wedding day.”

“But the idea of parents finding a girl for you is preposterous!” her voice almost trembled with shock.

“No it is not” I protested, “it is so much better in life to marry first and fall in love later with your wife or husband, far easier and a lot simpler!”

“But dear, you don’t realize one problem, what if they don’t fall in love even after marriage?” she said with an air of a class teacher who has just stumped a second class boy.

“Not falling in love is not an option for them” I said with a concluding tone in my voice.

No comments: