Saturday, April 29, 2006

Gujarati Holidays

I had a chance to visit a very small town in Gujarat called Mehsana. The first observation I made in Gujarat was that people still drink excessively chlorinated water. Not that its bad, its an indication that water treatment plants are working enthusiastically but I had made the same observation precisely ten years back when I came to Gujarat for the first time, as a result, selling filtered water is a sprawling business. Two cans of filtered water, 10 litres each, are home delivered at house at a monthly cost of Rs 200 and people prefer this to water purifiers because tap-water is so excessively chlorinated that these purifiers require servicing every month.
Even though the town was small yet I did not miss the so-called metropolitan life – the place was clean, I could get everything I wanted including high speed internet connection. In fact, the internet connection was faster than what I usually get at Delhi cyber-cafés.
Gujaratis, it is said, are a rather avaricious type of community – though I think it is quite good because they do not allow themselves to be fleeced by auto-rickshaw drivers – very unlike Delhi. The auto-drivers in order to reduce costs use kerosene instead of petrol and Mehsana commuters, knowing this fact very well, bargain and bargain excellently. The result is that intra-city travel from end-to-end costs no more than Rs. 10! The drivers keep cribbing about the frugality of people and the imminent starvation of their children but still do not dare increase the fare from 10 to 11!
Another striking feature of Mehsana in particular and Gujarat in general is that temples are built in a very aesthetic manner. They merge with the overall ambience and add to the tranquillity of the city. Temples are seen more as a place to socialize than as a place to worship. Unlike many temples that I have seen in south and north India, most of the local temples in Gujarat (by local I mean those built in residential areas and not having any historical or religious significance not like Somnath or Nageshwar) have benches where people can sit and interact. I haven’t come across any such temple in entire North India and maybe even South India. Gujaratis may be misers when it comes to auto fares but they spend a good amount in building temples – the smallest temple I came across was built in an area of half-acre.
Another shock awaited me in the railways, while travelling to Lucknow and Gorakhpur I am used to seeing coaches filled up to twice their capacity even in A/C class (second class coaches are filled up to four times their capacity) here, even in peak season not a single extra person was present, I awed at the attitude of people and the honesty of ticket collectors.
At home an invitation awaited me for a trip to Gorakhpur, I thought of the jam-packed trains, people travelling without reservation, TT accepting bribes openly and then thought of the journey I had just made – I put up a fake excuse and refused politely.

No comments: