Monday, May 01, 2006

Rang De Basanti – Colour it, for no reason at all

The general observation made by a certain gentleman, who called himself a philosopher while others called him a lunatic, is that in life you very often encounter people whom you don’t want to meet but seldom someone whom you really want to meet. It may or may not hold true for people but it holds true for cinemas – at least for me.
I was Mehsana where cinema halls are so primitive that they consider showing colour pictures a major achievement. I was happy that I am away from hustle and bustle of city especially promos of Rang De Basanti, and hardly watched television. It was on a one such hot and lazy evening that my uncle popped into his house with a brand new DVD player and asked me to set it up. Glad I was, because I had been trying hard not to be a parasite in their house, I immediately started on the work. Once the system was set up I grinned in anticipation and said we need some new DVD to “check if the system is all right”, I could see myself in that fancy video store I saw yesterday in the market and choosing my favourite title but my mausaji grinned back and whipped out a copy of Rang De Basanti. The last thing I saw was the wall clock showing 6:10 PM.
When I regained my senses the same wall clock showed 6:30 PM but the date had changed from 20th to 21st of April. They were still keen on “testing” their newly set up DVD player – not wanting to spoil their enthusiasm I put the DVD into the player with shaking hands and pressed the play button as if I am signing my own death warrant but the worst was yet to come, my cousin insisted on me sitting with her and endure that torture.
I thought that it may not be as hard as it was for the first time but this was worse. For, when I watched this cinema for the first time, the excitement of watching a new cinema along with the hype surrounding it had kept me awake till interval but this time I knew that it’s a bad cinema therefore each and every dialogue equal pouring molten lava in my ears. There are few places where director has somehow mistakenly given good scenes but those scenes can be counted on my finger tips of right hand – that too, without including thumb, fore finger, ring finger and small finger.
I give full marks to producer for inventing something which can be used by police and military as a substitute to third-degree torture. I do pity the hardened criminals who will be made to watch this cinema over and over again.

1 comment:

Ramit said...

Pity on yourself , not on prisnors...cos the Whole India (ecept few insanes like u)is now gripped to the magic of RDB. What you see is a tired, old side of a bright new sun. Past had been tough for us and we must understand that sitting in AC rooms and complaining about the whole system is nothing but an act of shame, more for youth like us who are more bothered about critisising the good work done for the country..(In case you dont know, the movie has sparked few associations who are ready to take up the job of cleaning the system) rather than coming out and taking it on our own..
The hidden message is what i believe u have missed... The movie at no point encourages the act of violence, In fact it criticises the act when guys apologise on radio... The movie also showcased that any such act of violence would lead to nothing but your own end....
The message might seem like hard to find, is still clear... Get in to the system and then clean it...

And if that looks like a tough job... you can start with cleaning your dvd player regularly so as to keep the fire burning..